Saturday, September 7, 2013

Item 16 - Finish 30 3 books - "The Sisters Brothers" by Patrick deWitt

(Source)
So apparently I took a bit of an unplanned hiatus. In my little vacation from blogging I have still been working on my list. That's included finishing this little gem. I've always loved westerns and this one is a nice quick read and fills the void that "Deadwood" never coming back left. The comparison to "Deadwood" is deliberate, though, as this book uses the same sort of lofty language as that show to create a sense of disconnect between the characters surroundings/actions and their words. In places it felt a little forced, but overall it was enjoyable.

One thing that did stick out for me was the episodic nature of the book. Maybe it's just because I spent the last month playing "Fallout 3" (which of course has nothing to do with my lack of updates), but the whole story almost seemed like an RPG campaign: the characters would drift from place to place, be given a quest, get a reward and move on towards their final goal. This isn't necessarily a bad thing (I'd actually kind of like to try a western themed RPG now that I think of it) it just sort of made it a little strange.

No comments:

Post a Comment